Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Some News...

Greetings all. It's been ages...two months, actually, since I last posted.  Life intervenes, as they say.  Any news? you ask.  Yes, in fact, there is.  Good news.  New Island will publish the follow up to Peeler, titled Irregulars, in February 2013.  I'm delighted, to say the least, and am confident New Island will do as fantastic a job publishing Irregulars as Mercier did with Peeler.

Irregulars is set during the Civil War in 1922 and deals with the search for the missing son of one of Monto's most powerful brothel owners while Free State and Republican death squads stalk the streets and back lanes of Dublin.  Sean O'Keefe, recently demobbed from the RIC is hired to find the boy amid the tumult and terror of a country at war with itself.   Much like Peeler, I used an actual crime--war crime?--I discovered in my research as the basis for Irregulars.  More on this anon...

Free State soldiers during Civil War raid house in Dublin
Anyone wanting to read up on the Civil War in Ireland should head over to The Irish Story website and take a gander at John Dorney's The Irish Civil War--A Brief Overview.  A short, brilliant, objective account of the conflict.  While there, have a read of some of the more comprehensive pieces on the Civil War as well.  Cheers!

10 comments:

  1. Excellent news, Kevin! Peeler was the best Irish crime book I read in 2011. Very much lookin forward to your continued exploration of this historical period. &: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alot, Mick, really appreciate it. My brother and my sister-in-law think Irregulars is better than Peeler so we'll see how it does. I'll be sure to get you a review copy soon as they're available. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just be sure to post details on when and where the launch is. I'd love to add a signed first edition to my collection and hope to buy a copy or two as gifts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will do, Mick. Look forward to sharing a pint with you on the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some news? That’s good news!
    =======================================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Peter. Maybe I'll make it to the Boucheron next year as I'll now have an excuse to go! Sounded like you had a great time there in Cleavland...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next year's Bouchercon is in Albany, a bit closer to New York and the East Coast, which may draw more of you Old Worlders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I'd heard that. I know Albany well. I lived there as a kid, believe it or not. I'll definitely try to make it. It's only a three hour drive--if that--from Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is terrific news, Kevin! As you know, I loved "Peeler," so I am hoping to get my hands on a copy of "Irregulars" very soon. I wish you great luck with this sequel.

    Cheers,
    Jeff Pierce
    Editor, The Rap Sheet
    http://therapsheet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, Jeff. Really appreciate your kind words and support of Peeler. It looks like it will be out around the end of March, early April. I'll let you all at the Rap Sheet know when I know! Cheers!

      Delete